Marbel 1 Elementary School in Koronadal City was evaluated for National Gawad Kalasag Award. This prompted when it became national finalist in public school elementary level category. The evaluators were composed of different representatives such as Glezie Dauz of Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), Leslie Tangunan of Office of Civil Defence (OCD) and Justine Beatrice Apolinario of Department of Education (DepEd) Central Office which represent the national agencies. Among others were OCD Region XII Admin Officer Ann Guiong Singit and City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CDRRMC) Officer Cyrus Jose Urbano as CDRRMC focal person.
“We have the right choice, nominating Marbel 1 Elementary School to Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDAC).” Urbano said. He, on the other hand, enumerated some of the best practices of the above-mentioned school that comprises of the following:
- Very strong linkages to other agencies which include Local Government Unit (LGU), barangays and national line agencies;
- Able to transform Marbel 1 Elem. School from frequently flooded school to conducive learning institution;
- Perennial winner for solid waste management program;
- Strict proper waste disposal and segregation;
- Practice vermicast culture and organic vegetables, herbal and floral garden;
- Religious practice of basic Disaster Risk Reduction Management (DRRM) through earthquake and fire drills;
- Each student occupying multi-storey building equipped with hard hat and first aid kit that placed at the back of their chair.
- The principal Felita Yparraguire is considered as outstanding disaster manager according to DepEd City Division and Region XII.
The evaluation will determine the rank of Marbel 1 Central Elementary School in National Gawad Kalasag Award that was conducted last August 13, 2019.